Wednesday, September 19, 2012

East meets West

In a couple days an employee of mine will be heading out west for a wedding. Specifically she will be in San Diego. Being the craft beer enthusiast that I am I took advantage of the situation and asked her if she would be willing to make a trip to a local liquor store for me. She has agreed (really I'm her boss and she had no choice, just kidding!) Anyways I have already completed the necessary steps in an attempt to get her a list of a couple of 22oz. bombers of beers that I cannot get here in northern Virginia. The store I contacted was Dicks Liquor in La Jolla, which if you are ever out that way I definitely recommend visiting their location, great guys really seemed to know what he was talking about and even emailed a full list of their craft beer inventory, great guys very helpful and good selection of craft beer, can't go wrong!

After looking at the list I was provided which included, Lost Abbey, Russian River, Karl Strauss, Alesmith and a couple other breweries that we get here just not the same beer. With much consideration and research I settled on Lost Abbey Serpents stout, Russian River consecration, Alesmith IPA and Great Divides Expresso Yeti, aged in oak barrels. In my opinion a great haul as long as everything is still in stock and my transporter can still get everything! I am as giddy as a school girl in anticipation of these beers!

So on to the important aspect of tonight's post..THE BEER! Recently I have been sitting on some special beers (in addition to the beer mentioned above) Last week I picked up a bottle of Nogne O Imperial Stout from Norway, as well as a bottle of the Blue Mountain's Barrel House' Dark Hollow, from the same brewers of Blue Mountain out of Nelson County, Virginia. I decided for this review I would stay local and went with the Barrel House. I must admit that I expect big things from any craft brewery in Virginia, as there has only been one that I was underwhelmed with (not this one!) Barrel House combines two art forms, brewing and distillation to make one super drink! Dark Hollows is an Imperial Stout (above normal ABV...10% to be exact with this beer) aged in charred American oak bourbon barrels for 100 days, which allows it to take in the complexities associated with bourbon, but also the burnt dark flavors of the wood.

What you get is a super smooth stout with hints of chocolate and alcohol at first taste. The mouth feel is amazing with this beer, so smooth and thick, it will coat your mouth and tongue where you can really take in the bitterness that comes with the beers 70 IBU's (International Bittering Units). As you swallow sip after sip you can really taste the floral and fruitiness that Blue Mountain has so expertly brewed into the beer. Dark Hollow is a bottle refermented, meaning when bottled there is live beer included giving this beer a natural carbonation and its smooth mouth feel.

Out of the bottle it has a black color to it, however while resting in the glass you can see it is outlined by ruby red tones. I was able to pour at a nice slow pace allowing a 2 finger chocolaty head to form. The head lingers throughout the glass and maintains its light brown hue. This is definitely a beer I WILL get again to enjoy with friends at our next get together. It is a slow sipper meant to be enjoyed over time allowing the drinker to sit back and not worry about the next glass, but partake in the pleasure that is The Dark Hollow.

If you have not done so, I highly recommend checking out Virginia Craft Beer, I am extremely excited about what is happening in the world of craft beer and the role that Virginia will be playing!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment